[evlatests] your mail

Steven T. Myers smyers at nrao.edu
Sat Mar 6 15:14:52 EST 2010

If we are to not have issues like this for routine dynamic observing,
then we at least need a way to make sure all antennas are in the same
wrap (whatever the executor or scheduler decides at the time the wrap
should be).  Where is it that the wrap choice (barring explict setting
in the OPT) is made?

Things are usually more deterministic if you observe (ie. get on source at
least) a source that is well south of the zenith so it it guaranteed to not be
the ambiguous wrap zones, but I don't know if we want to go as far as
recommending this to observers.

In the longer term, if we don't go to full dwell-time scheduling, it might be
prudent to have a parameter like "min_dwell_on_source" that is passed to the
scheduler so it can evaluate whether to execute a given schedule at a given
LST or not (the moral equivalent of running OBSERVE and seeing if you get
enough time on all the sources).  This at least might prevent the worst
problems from slews and wrapping without requring the user to over-specify
start times.

   -s

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Bryan Butler wrote:

> the OPT definitely allows one to set the wrap if desired.
>
> 	-bryan
>

> Ken Sowinski wrote, On 3/5/10 17:45:
>> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Vivek Dhawan wrote:
>>
>>> I just got done with a cursory look at the C55258.434 (AH1004)
>>> chunk, it looks good on the targets; but the flux cal scan 1331+3030
>>> is fringeless on 6 (otherwise good) antennas even though it is 4:15 long
>>> and most antennas got 1:30 or so dwell time. This should be repeated
>>> with 1331 adequately scheduled, perhaps by moving it a bit later in the
>>> schedule
>>
>> The fringeless antennas are clearly a wrap problem.  Whether
>> it is an observer oversight or a loss of information in
>> script generation I cannot tell.  The OPT allows wrap hints?
>> The scripts in question had every scan marked as 'dont-care-
>> about-wrap'.
>>
>> I suggest the script generator not include setWrap() calls
>> unless the observer has supplied an explcit hint to the OPT.

|:| Steven T. Myers                      |:|  Tenured Astronomer       |:|
|:| National Radio Astronomy Observatory |:|  Ph:  (575) 835-7294      |:|
|:| P.O. Box O, Socorro, NM 87801        |:|  FAX: (575) 835-7027      |:|
|:| http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~smyers      |:|  smyers at nrao.edu          |:|