[evlatests] Not all bad news ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 21 22:03:09 EDT 2010

    Although imaging Cygnus A has been disappointing (so far), imaging
of its nearby calibrator is quite superb.

    After self-calibration and simple clipping of discrepant data
points, images of J2007+4029 gives apparently noise-limited images with
1, 16, and 56 channels co-added, and with 1 or 2 IFpairs included.

    There are about 25 observations, each of about 2 minutes duration,
with 26 antennas.  The lowest noise is 14 microJy/beam, providing about
275,000:1 DR.  This is with 'uniform' weighting.  Use of natural
weighting made no difference in rms, but shows some 'Cygnus A' short
spacing flux appearing (Cyg A is 2.5 degrees away).

    I'll work out whether we are close to the thermal noise tomorrow.
The (uniform weighted) maps certainly appear noise-limited.