[evlatests] D*P contributions to total intensity

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 27 17:26:24 EDT 2010

Bill-

Yes indeed, I was assuming sufficient per-channel SNR for
the channelized solution.   Also (for Barry), that the external
reference for the per-channel position angle (R-L phase)
calibration is known a priori _per_channel_.   We already claim
to  know this angle is ~constant for 3C286 over the whole of the VLA's
frequency coverage---perhaps the story is a bit more interesting
in detail....

The 10-20 degrees of R-L 'phase bandpass' I mentioned is
_after_ correcting the cross-hands for the channelized D-terms.
You see it in every baseline's cross-hands, and it has opposite
sign in RL and LR.  It is just the channel-dep R-L calibration,
and one should expect something interesting there, based just
on what you see in ordinary (parallel-hand) bandpass phases.
I.e., it was strictly not a statement about the freq-dep of the D-terms
themselves.    (This is not what I intended to suggest, if I
understand your reply.  In fact, the D-term spectra are rather
more interesting than the R-L phase, I think.)

Whether there is a significant net slope in the R-L bandpass
(an R-L delay) depends on whether or not you removed
it ahead of time or not, but (with sufficient SNR) you needn't
bother if you remain consistent and do _both_ a channelized
D and a channelized R-L calibration.   It is like letting an
ordinary sampled bandpass correct for delay---if you are
going to do a channelized bandpass anyway, you need not first
remove a delay (unless there are other issues to contend
with, like time-dependence in the delay, for which you want to
leverage sensitivity).   It is correct that this
approach does _not_ isolate the D-term phase spectrum from
the R-L bandpass [delay or no]---each channel's D-term
is in the R-L frame delivered by the refant used in the
gain/bandpass calibration.  That this R-L phase frame
may include a significant delay just doesn't matter to
the instr pol calibration, at least for the unpolarized calibrator
case.  If one is interested in unwinding the D-term phase
according to the R-L bandpass phase (a channelized version
of CLCOR's 'PANG' mode, I think), one could, but we
aren't bothering to do so in CASA (the R-L phase bandpass
is applied as a separate cal table, after the D table is applied).

I'll rustle up some plots of this and distribute, as soon
as I have a chance.

I agree that parameterizing the D-term spectrum---specific
standing waves we know should be there, etc.---would be
desirable for cases where SNR is lacking.  I don't think
this changes the strategy, so long as the phase part of
this parameterization can cope with as arbitrary an R-L
delay (e.g., cycles slips) as might remain after standard
gain/bandpass/(delay) calibration.  But so far, SNR/channel
hasn't been found wanting in the sorts of polarization
observations we've embarked on so far, as least for
commissioning purposes.

-George