[evlatests] More from L-band data

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 5 11:30:40 EST 2010

    Some more 'top-level' observations from the L-band data taken
yesterday afternoon:

    The number of 'zero record' visibilities (not associated with the
antenna issues identified earlier) is quite small -- CLIP reports 0.003%
of the visibilities lay outside the range of 1e6 to 1e-6.

    Antenna 24 in RCP is undergoing 1dB power step changes every 30
seconds:  at 22:58:40, 22:59:10, 22:59:40, ...

    There are big wobbles on some baselines, most easily visible in
phase.  The wobbles appear to be much stronger in the first IF (1180 MHz
center) than in the third (1436).  Baselines particularly affected:

    1 x 5   (W9 x W8) -- in RCP only.  SPFLG shows frequency-dependent
phase-time structure -- like broad-band RFI beating with the
astronomical signal.  LCP is clean.
    2 x 18 (E2 x N9).  Both polarizations, amplitude and phase.
    All other easily identified wobbles (IF3 ) are only seen easily in
phase.  There are many baselines -- for some of them, the phase plot
shows 'chatter' -- the periodicity is ~2 seconds (averaging time 1
sec).  Baselines most obvious are 7 x 21, 8 x 24, 4 x 8, 1 x 25, 2 x 8.
Both polarizations show apparently identical effects.  A proper FT would
likely find more periodicities.  It would be good to get a faster dump ...

    Other than this, the visibility plots (amplitude vs U-V distance)
are very nice, showing the 3C84 halo quite clearly.  I'm fairly sure
that eliminating the large delay will return us to a closure regime like
we had before -- residual closures will be due to 2nd order polarizer
leakages, which we can (somewhat crudely) fix in BLCAL.