[evlatests] Fast band switching test

Bryan Butler bbutler at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 7 18:13:06 EST 2010

actually i rather suspect it should be:

       Duration = DwellDesired
                + Max(CorrelatorSetupTime,
                      AntennaSlew+SettleTime,
                      SubreflectorRotationTime,
                      SubreflectorFocusTime)
                + Other

because correlator setup, antenna move, and subreflector motion all
start at (roughly) the same time (i *think* this is true, but i'm not
positive about subreflector rotation and focus happening at the same
time - and in fact looking at the executor code it looks like there is a
0.25 sec delay between the two, but that's pretty small).  the Other
shouldn't necessarily be there at all, but the fact that it takes 5
seconds to go from reference pointing at X-band to regular X-band
observing, which should cause none of the setups or motions, indicates
that *something* in the system is taking that long to get organized
(it's not executor per se, since it looks ahead by one scan).

the subreflector focus time can be substantial - at least to and from
L-band.  a quick perusal of the parameters database shows that for the
other (non-L) bands, the motion is small - of order a couple of cm or so
maximum.  for L-band, however, it's typically of order 5 cm, and there
are cases as large as 7 cm.  the motion rate is 0.5 cm/sec, so to and
from L-band will be 10-15 seconds for focus, and the other bands will be
of order 5 seconds or less.  one note - i suspect the time to move to
S-band might be substantial as well, but the parameters database seems
to have no entries for S-band focus at all, so i couldn't check.  maybe
i was driving parminator incorrectly.

the subreflector rotation time can also be substantial.  for rick's
sequence, the subreflector rotation angles and times (with a rotation
motion rate of about 12 deg/sec) will be about:
  Ku->L: 136    11
  L->S:  172    14
  S->C:   58     5
  X->Q:  177    15
  Q->Ka:  20     2
  Ka->K:  40     3
  K->Ku:  22     2

so, another way of showing rick's table would be:

      Band        Delta    expected    Delta-expected
        L          16        11             5
        S          18        14             4
        C          17        10             7
        X           5         0             5
        Q          20        15             5
        Ka         10         5             5
        K          12         5             7
        Ku         10         5             5

where Delta is rick's Duration-Good data (the "setup" time, for all
intents and purposes), and expected is
Max(SubreflectorRotationTime,SubreflectorFocusTime), and i've assumed
moves to and from S-band take similar time as L-band.

i take this to mean that some combination of the correlator setup time
and the Other is about 5 seconds, so we'd be safe (to +- seconds) with:

       Duration = DwellDesired
                + Max(AntennaSlew+SettleTime,
                      SubreflectorRotationTime,
                      SubreflectorFocusTime)
                + 5

in any case i'm glad to hear it's shorter than the VLA (which was never
shorter than the built in 20 seconds).

	-bryan