[evlatests] Fast band switching test

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 7 16:40:09 EST 2010

    I ran a short test yesterday -- part of a series of tests in
preparation for a 'flux densities' run -- to assess if we have
established good robustness on band changes.

    The test consisted of observing a single source at every band with
the following sequence:

    L, S, C, RefPnt at X, X, Q, Ka, K, Ku

    This was repeated three times.  The observations were in 'extended
wideband' mode, including the referenced pointing.
    Below is a table of the duration requested, and the actual duration
of good, steady fringes.

    Band        Duration        Good data
      L               50 sec               34 sec
      S               50                     32
      C               45                     28
      XRefPnt   180                 ??  It seemed to work
      X               40                     35  (no reconfiguration needed)
      Q               50                     30
      Ka             40                     30
      K               40                     28
      Ku             45                     35

    The '18-second' dead zone at the end of observations, when the
following observation switches sideband, is gone.  Also gone is the
differing length of blank data at the beginning of a scan for different
subbands (spectral windows) when changing correlator setup.

    I deduce from this that the actual time it takes to setup for a new
observation is no more than 10 seconds.  The additional time shown in
the table above (Duration - GoodData) for some band changes is likely
due to subreflector rotation.   This is considerably better than the VLA.

    For multi-source observations, the relevant duration to request will
be something like:

    Duration =  DwellDesired + 10 + Max(SlewTime, SubrRotate)