[evlatests] WIDAR RFI Tolerance test

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 23 11:33:51 EDT 2009

Recall 1610.6-1613.8 MHz is a radio astronomy shared allocation based on
the 1612 MHz OH line.  It is shared with various satellite services but,
as I recall, there has been some effort (not perfect) to alleviate the
impact on OH line observations.  Anyway, it's encouraging that the band
is usable.

How do things look near the main lines at 1665 and 1667 MHz?  That is
another shared allocation, but with passive services.

Cheers,

Craig

Rick Perley wrote:
>     The 'Golden 3C286 Dataset', taken on 28 July, has provided (as
> reported earlier) some excellent images of the field of 3C286, with
> dynamic ranges up ~200,000:1.  The observations were taken in RCP only,
> with 11 antennas at L-band,with 4 subbands of 128 MHz width each, and
> were about 6.5 hours long.
>
>     The imaging done earlier were utilized only a single sub-band -- the
> one most free of RFI (indeed, almost entirely free).   I report here on
> an imaging test done on sub-band #3 -- the one most heavily clobbered by
> RFI.
>
>     The AIPS program SPFLG is very useful in perusing for RFI (except
> that for this purpose, and ability to utilize a logarithmic transfer
> function would be very useful!!!).  In displaying portions of subband 3
> (which extends from 1556 to 1684 MHz), it was noted that (following
> basic calibration) that the RFI which occupies nearly the entire
> frequency range from the lower frequency edge through 1628 MHz has an
> intensity of up to 5000 Jy, and is typically 1000 Jy.  I noted that
> there is a narrow slot, of width 3 MHz, centered at 1613 MHz, which
> showed no RFI at all -- this lies between the Glonass and Iridium
> transmissions -- each of which are thousands of Janskys at times, and
> are located about 5 MHz (ten channels) away on each side.
>
>     The test was then to determine the imaging performance within this
> apparently narrow empty slot.
>
>     I extracted, with SPLIT, the 6 'empty' channels, applying Hanning
> smoothing to damp down the Gibbs ringing from the adjacent RFI.  I did
> not apply any bandpass solution.  This formed a single channel of width
> 3 MHz, centered at 1613 MHz.  Perusal of these amplitudes showed a
> nearly complete absence of any instabilities in amplitude or phase which
> might be the signature of nearby RFI causing 'ringing' or 'echoes' in
> the adjacent channels.  Near the middle of the 6.5 hour run is about a
> half of of ratty data -- there is nothing special about the behavior of
> the RFI signals at that time, so I attribute this to actual emission at
> the frequency of the narrow slot.    I removed these on the basis of the
> calibration solutions (via EDITA), and by CLIP on the final data
> following calibration.
>
>     No 'heroic' measures were incorporated in the calibration -- I
> simply started with a point source model, and iterated twice as the
> background sources appeared.  (No symmetrization occurred).   As noted
> above, EDITA was employed to remove antennas with deviant solutions --
> nearly all of these were in the short period of time noted above.
>
>     The final image is quite outstanding:  rms noise of 0.27 mJy, so a
> DR of about 52,000:1.  The background 'noise' looks normal for the
> amount of data actually gridded -- we are likely noise-limited.  This
> noise is a factor of about 20 million below the peak RFI noted only 6
> MHz away on each side (in frequency).

> [...]

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA