[evlatests] WIDAR RFI Tolerance test

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 23 09:41:33 EDT 2009

    The 'Golden 3C286 Dataset', taken on 28 July, has provided (as
reported earlier) some excellent images of the field of 3C286, with
dynamic ranges up ~200,000:1.  The observations were taken in RCP only,
with 11 antennas at L-band,with 4 subbands of 128 MHz width each, and
were about 6.5 hours long.

    The imaging done earlier were utilized only a single sub-band -- the
one most free of RFI (indeed, almost entirely free).   I report here on
an imaging test done on sub-band #3 -- the one most heavily clobbered by
RFI.

    The AIPS program SPFLG is very useful in perusing for RFI (except
that for this purpose, and ability to utilize a logarithmic transfer
function would be very useful!!!).  In displaying portions of subband 3
(which extends from 1556 to 1684 MHz), it was noted that (following
basic calibration) that the RFI which occupies nearly the entire
frequency range from the lower frequency edge through 1628 MHz has an
intensity of up to 5000 Jy, and is typically 1000 Jy.  I noted that
there is a narrow slot, of width 3 MHz, centered at 1613 MHz, which
showed no RFI at all -- this lies between the Glonass and Iridium
transmissions -- each of which are thousands of Janskys at times, and
are located about 5 MHz (ten channels) away on each side.

    The test was then to determine the imaging performance within this
apparently narrow empty slot.

    I extracted, with SPLIT, the 6 'empty' channels, applying Hanning
smoothing to damp down the Gibbs ringing from the adjacent RFI.  I did
not apply any bandpass solution.  This formed a single channel of width
3 MHz, centered at 1613 MHz.  Perusal of these amplitudes showed a
nearly complete absence of any instabilities in amplitude or phase which
might be the signature of nearby RFI causing 'ringing' or 'echoes' in
the adjacent channels.  Near the middle of the 6.5 hour run is about a
half of of ratty data -- there is nothing special about the behavior of
the RFI signals at that time, so I attribute this to actual emission at
the frequency of the narrow slot.    I removed these on the basis of the
calibration solutions (via EDITA), and by CLIP on the final data
following calibration.

    No 'heroic' measures were incorporated in the calibration -- I
simply started with a point source model, and iterated twice as the
background sources appeared.  (No symmetrization occurred).   As noted
above, EDITA was employed to remove antennas with deviant solutions --
nearly all of these were in the short period of time noted above.

    The final image is quite outstanding:  rms noise of 0.27 mJy, so a
DR of about 52,000:1.  The background 'noise' looks normal for the
amount of data actually gridded -- we are likely noise-limited.  This
noise is a factor of about 20 million below the peak RFI noted only 6
MHz away on each side (in frequency).

    This little test strongly indicates the correlator is linear to a
very high degree -- but certainly does not constitute any proof of such.