[evlatests] Dynamic range of images from Widar.

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 9 17:15:42 EST 2009

> 1. We usually run the closure-preserving calibration (FRING, BPASS,
>    CALIB) on shortish timescales, reach a floor in the rms, then do
>    non-closing corrections with BLCAL over the whole timerange.
> Q: Are there antenna-based errors left over, that show up on longer
>   integrations (higher SNR)?
> A: No - long CALIB solutions do not make a dent in the corrections
>    needed by the final BLCAL.

This also should not be surprising.  Short-timescale solutions will, _on
average_, pick up and account for long-timescale effects, even if they
have insufficient SNR to detect them _per solution_, unless the
short-timescale solutions are deliberately filtered (e.g., by
normalization) to avoid this.  In other words, the solution interval alone
is not such a filter for effects occuring on timescales longer than the
solution interval.  (Effects on shorter timescales _are_ effectively
filtered, and we've relied on this explicitly, e.g., "wobbles" and
"clunking".)

If one wants to detect and state a long timescale effect, one must obtain
sufficient SNR to be convincing, either by using a long solution interval
or averaging together many short timescale solutions in the right way.
But this is not required to achieve properly corrected data from short
timescale solutions, so long as the short-timescale solutions themselves
aren't noise-like.  (~Noise-like short-timescale solutions will correct,
on average, _only_ the long timescale effects that can average coherently,
interestingly.)

A more interesting question is whether or not the short-timescale
antenna-based calibration changes in any interesting way by applying a
constant BLCAL solution.  Presumably the BLCAL solution will change the
relative contributions of different baselines to the antenna-based
solution. Of course, by definition, the constant BLCAL solution will
preclude any post-BLCAL antenna-based _constant_ component.

These considerations are always complicated by the fact that any type of
solution will enforce some mean consistency of the calibration model and
the data, and that this changes the mean properties of subsequent
solutions.  We should also remember that the relative _isolation_ of
closure-violating effects in antenna-based calibration solutions is about
half what we might be used to for the full VLA (12 vs 27 antennas).
NOTHING among the calibration effects is _precisely_ orthogonal to
anything else!

-George