[evlatests] Cancel Red Alert ...

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 3 11:36:45 EST 2009

Rick-

>    2) The appallingly poor L-band image that I showed was a result of
> BLCAL not having been applied.  When BLCAL was computed and applied,
> (and the data self-calibrated with my best VLA image), the output image
> immediately shows a spiffy 180,000:1 dynamic range!  Better than the VLA
> image.   But still a long ways from thermal noise.

Do you stand by your earlier statement that the BLCAL solutions were
"insignificant"?  Presumably not.  So then, are their magnitudes and
distribution consistent with the few 10000s:1 you get without applying the
BLCAL solution?  Must be.  And (you knew I would ask!), are they
consistent with what we might expect for the instrumental polarization
(~constant <D*D>) contribution at L-band? (I think all current EVLA/WIDAR
antennas still have the "Hybrid L-band" feed/polarizer or otherwise
not-yet-EVLA-compliant L-band RX.)

Also, the above might imply that you did the BLCAL before the ordinary
selfcal (both, presumably, with the VLA model).  Is this so?  This tactic
is subject to how the time-dep antenna-based calibration residuals average
up for the (constant) BLCAL solution.  It is probably wiser (but an
absolute ideal is not possible) to do the ordinary selfcal first, and let
it also soak up longer-timescale (constant) _antenna-based_ errors, before
letting BLCAL obliterate such information.  This point is probably far
more important when you are actually deriving the model from the data
itself in between these solves (rather than uniformly using a prior VLA
model).  In the present case, it merely confuses what is antenna-based and
what is not for the long-timescale (i.e., constant) stuff.  (To be sure,
closure errors can also leak into the antenna-based solution, but they do
so less efficiently by a factor Nant, and we should expect to be dominated
by antenna-based stuff in any case.)

-George