[evlatests] R/L phase differences.

Bob Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Tue May 19 12:02:44 EDT 2009

I'm not quite sure I agree with Vivek's contention that this time
variation is being caused by not having enough isolation in the LO
splitters inside the various receivers. The reason for my thinking this
is two-fold...

1) At Q-Band, the VLA is fine but the EVLA isn't. The VLA and EVLA
Q-Band receivers have exactly the same LO splitters and have similar
cabling between the splitters and the tripler/mixer assemblies. If the
LO splitter isolation was the cause of the problem, the VLA should be
just as bad.

2) Both the VLA and EVLA receivers use the same LO splitter (although
the EVLA receiver has a doubler added to provide high-side LO
injection). The splitters in the K-Band receivers are in a (warm)
thermalized environment and have short fairly rigid cabling. The K-Band
receiver should be much less sensitive to thermal changes or flexure
from elevation changes. If the LO splitter was the problem, K-Band
should show less of an effect than Q-Band, where the splitter and
interconnection cables sit relatively unprotected in the cold, cruel
world of the Vextex Cabin (waveguide systems can't be packaged as easily
or as compact as coaxial systems).

But we can do tests by adding isolators to a couple of EVLA Q-Band
receivers to see if this changes things. The EVLA Ka-Band receivers, by
the way, have extra isolators already (we had a bigger budget) so if it
is an LO splitter problem, they should look much better.

-Bob