[evlatests] C-Band RFI

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 10 20:32:58 EDT 2009

Hi Rick.  We checked up on the 6 GHz signal a few
weeks ago.  I had previously believed that the signal
was from a Glenwood-Brushy to Frisco Divide microwave
link, based on what I found in the FCC database.  However,
when we got our RF Direction Finding System (RF-DFS)
working above 2 GHz for the first time a couple of weeks
ago we found that the source bearing was just a few degrees
south of due west--the same bearing that Steve found when
he tried using a EVLA antenna as a DF system.

Confirmation of a bearing to the west and not the south-west
got me digging deeper into the FCC database.  It turns out
that the real culprit is a Mangus Mtn to Grayhill microwave
link @ 6004.5 MHz.  Mangus is 60 Km almost due west, and Grayhill
is just north of AE8/E64 on the east arm.  Their link shoots
right over W48, then on to the east arm.  The Effective
Isotropic Radiated Power (EIRP--includes TX antenna gain)
is +71.4 dBm, and the maximum utilized bandwidth is 30 MHz.
The link is owned/managed by our friends at the Western New
Mexico Telephone Co.  Although our monitor sees variations
in signal strength, and occasional drop-outs, I think we can
be sure that it is essentially a continuous link.  I've
attached an RF-DFS plot of the bearing to the 6004.5 MHz
signal.

As for the "6580 MHz birdie" to the west:  I don't yet have a
confirmation bearing using our system.  I do note from the
FCC database however that there is a Grants to Datil (Davenport
Mtn) microwave link @ 6585 MHz.  If that is the signal source,
it ought to be strongest to the north, not the west.  It is
approved for max 5 MHz wide, 70.3 dBm EIRP, & a 1.3 deg
"beam-width" (3 dB down beam-width I would assume).  The VLA is
"only" off by around 16 degrees from the center of their beam,
so we're probably picking up side-lobes.  The link is owned/managed
by AirCell LLC.  Bradford (IPG Coop) and I will verify bearing
once we get the RF-DFS back up (we had servo problems during the
wind storm of last week).

The band from 6.1 to 7 GHz is full of such microwave links.
These 2 are just more noticeable because their TX antenna points
toward our array.

-Mert