[evlatests] C-band Test Results

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 5 12:19:59 EST 2009

    Bob Hayward and I spent yesterday on antenna 24 measuring the C-band
efficiency and system temperature.  This antenna is a fully compliant
EVLA antenna, with the new horn, new receivers, and final OMT.
    On-Off observations of Cygnus A were used to determine the
efficiency.   A resolution correction is needed -- this varies from 2%
at the lowest frequency to 9% at the highest.
    Dips from 90 to 8 degrees were made to measure atmosphere and
spillover variations.
    A hot load and cold sky observation were used to calibrate the
system gain.  Because a proper liquid nitrogen cold load is not feasible
for this band (the horn is too big!), we have to assume a value for the
spillover when observing cold sky.  These results assumed a total of 15K
from all outside sources.  A 5 degree variation in this has little
effect (about 2%) on the  derived values of Tsys, but a large effect on
the derived value of Tr.  The assumed value of 15K gives Tr values close
to those measured in the lab -- support for our spillover value being
about right.

    The results are given in the attached table.  These are preliminary
results, but I don't expect them to change much after more careful
calibration.  The results are in good agreement with those from analysis
of corrrelator coefficients:  Tsys/effic is about 50K for frequencies
below 6 GHz, and close to 40K for frequencies above 6 GHz.  (Multiply by
5.62 to get to SEFD).