[evlatests] C-Band imaging, etc.

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 25 13:56:38 EDT 2009

    We wondered at the test meeting whether the odd phase/amplitude
oscillations seen in the recent data are repeatable (in some time
reference frame), and also what the difference is between the June 23
data (shown at the meeting) and the apparently very much better June 17
data (both taken at C-band).

    Reviewing the 17 June data shows right away that there is only one
baseline on which an oscillatory phase is seen (19 x 24).  This baseline
also oscillated in the June 24 data.  However, the large oscillations
seen on 1 x 23, 1 x 28, and 19 x 25 in the June 24 data are *not*
visible in the 17 June data.

    The only obvious difference between these two sets of data is the
hour angle:  The earlier data were taken at HA = -4, while the latter
data were taken at HA = +4.

    I reproduced the noise-limited C-band image from June 17 -- after BL
corrections were made.  Applying BL solutions to the June 23 data helps
quite a bit, but does not eliminate the 'lumpiness'.  Time-variable
solutions were attempted also (15 minutes) -- no improvement beyond what
is expected as the number of free parameters is raised.  A single
background source is seen in both databases.  A super-widefield image
(4096 x 4096) shows no other detectable structure on any angular scale.

    I made a UV-restricted image from the June 23 data (as the lumpiness
is definitely stronger on larger angular scales).  This helps a lot, but
does not eliminate the lumpiness.  Short baselines are more strongly
affected, but long baselines seem not to be immune.