[evlatests] widar test data, jun 08

Vivek Dhawan vdhawan at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 10 14:41:23 EDT 2009

More on Monday's data. Old details are below.

Images with self-cal alone get to about 9000:1, on both Jun 3
and Jun 8th data.

Applying baseline-specific corrections (correcting the closure
errors with BLCAL) works: a single solution for the whole time
for each baseline improves things by a factor of a few, 10min
solutions give another factor of a few, and 2min solutions get
the dynamic range over 200,000:1. The closure corrections have
no obvious pattern by antenna or time. They are present in both
jun 3rd and jun 8th data.

The bandpass was noticed to vary on timescales of a few minutes,
by a 1-2 degrees and a percent or so in amplitude. It looks
like a phase slope (from delay changes) plus a ripple with 2
or so bumps in 128MHz. However, applying a time-variable bandpass
to the data made no difference to the dynamic range - still ~9000
without BLCAL.

Michael is planning to get a 1hr dataset on the same source with
the VLA to check for confusing sources in the field.