[evlatests] False Symmetrization!

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 30 10:40:06 EDT 2009

Rick-

> intensity, was so bizarre as to suggest an origin in the calibration
> procedures -- self-cal can generate such effects in some circumstances.

...when fed a source model that does not contain the requisite _asymmetry_.
It is actually that the BPASS(t) used a mere point model that is imprinting
the symmetrized background in the channel-dependent continuum, and
ordinary (CALIB) selfcal can't compensate for this....

> 1-second solutions for each of the 12 channels.   There is nothing wrong
> with this in principle, and the resulting solutions look fine, but
> clearly something made the program attempt to symmetrize the data ...

It is more the heuristics than the program.  Try doing the BPASS(t) in
the _selfcal_, i.e., with the resolved (asymmetric) model.  I.e., different
channels require different _self-cal_solutions in detail.

-George