[evlatests] False Symmetrization!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 30 10:06:31 EDT 2009

    The result reported yesterday, wherein background sources were found
to be reflected about the origin with about 10% of their proper
intensity, was so bizarre as to suggest an origin in the calibration
procedures -- self-cal can generate such effects in some circumstances.

    To check this, I split off from the originating database a single
500 kHz channel, and a block of 20 channels (a BW of 10 MHz), and
calibrated these as if they were perfectly ordinary continuum databases
of the calibrator source.  A point-source amplitude and phase solution,
followed by an image, followed by a proper model amplitude and phase
solution.

    The results from this are perfectly normal.   Both test 'continuum'
databases provided an excellent image, showing all the background
sources in their proper places, with their proper intensities.

    The strange symmetrization from yesterday's test on a multi-channel
pseudocontinuum database (12 channels of 10 MHz each) appears to have
been generated through the BPASS program, when I attempted to generate
1-second solutions for each of the 12 channels.   There is nothing wrong
with this in principle, and the resulting solutions look fine, but
clearly something made the program attempt to symmetrize the data ...

    Bottom line is:  All appears very good at L-band -- at least with
small channelwidth data.  Much more effort is needed to see if we are
getting the expected improvements as the number of channels utilized
increases.