[evlatests] More amazing phenomenology ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 14 19:26:06 EDT 2009

    Closer inspection of our test data taken Sunday reveals more
coherent patterns, which are easy to see if the data for each of the
offset positions are phase shifted to the phase tracking origin (this
takes out the spatial component of the phase, leaving the time-variable
effects bare for all to see).

    I find:

    1) The residual phases of 25 and 28 are both rotating at a constant
rate over the 1 hour duration of the file.  The two rates are exactly
equal and opposite!  (That is, while 25's phase is increasing, 28's is
decreasing at exactly the same rate).  It is clear that this is a
continuous change (I can resolve it within the scans), and is not
connected with scan boundaries.

    2) The phase rates are also proportional to source offset distance.
The slope is about +/- 0.6 degrees/(minute.arcminute), with + for
antenna 25, and - for antenna 28.

    3) There is a clear time at which all phases for baselines connected
to 25 and 28 are correct (i.e. = zero):  This time is the beginning of
the observation.

    It looks like a slow slippage in phase tracking, which starts at
zero at the observation's beginning.  Antenna 25 is at N2, while antenna
28 is at N8.

        Ken has a theory ...