[evlatests] L-Band WIDAR Woes

Barry Clark bclark at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 10 12:51:18 EDT 2009

In re ea02*ea18 on E2, N16.

Numbers don't seem quite right, but Rick didn't give them very
accurately.  Might be worth checking.

Source 0217+738, time approx UT 0h, LST 11h20m

Baseline, in VLA centered coordinates = (2701, 552, -3994) in ns.

At that time, u was about 1520ns, or 1800 wavelengths (presuming
Rick was talking about the low band), fringe rate
37 mHz or a 27 second period.  This is the apparent fringe rate at
which a stationary interference source would show up.  Seems
significantly different from the 90s Rick quotes.

The position of the sun at 0h UT June 30 (or was it June 29 - unclear
from the message which day was meant) was 06h35m23s, +23d07'12.  For
the sun, u=3800 ns = 4600 wavelengths, and a fringe rate of 220 mHz;
subtracting 37mHz for the source gives a relative fringe rate of
183 mHz, or a period of 5.5 seconds, which might be Rick's 6s period.
Might be worth making a map at the above solar position (or at
06h31m40s 23d10'57" if the evening of June 28/29 was meant).