[evlatests] C-Band Imaging comparisons: VLA vs. WIDAR

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 7 15:59:36 EDT 2009

    I've now been able process the C-band parallel data sets taken last
July 4/5.

    1) As noted before, all WIDAR images are rotated by 180 degrees
about the phase center.

    2) The calibrator was 2007+404, an excellent unresolved source.  The
VLA data, after closure corrections (recall that both VLA and EVLA
antennas are included here) provided a decent map with 28000:1 DR.
(There's a weak background source, 2 mJy, located 30 arcsec to the NW).
       The WIDAR data are expected to provide a slightly better Dynamic
Range:  10 antennas with 512 MHz total BW, vs. 15 antennas with 200 MHz
total BW, so the sensitivity should be slightly better.  To obtain this,
I had to apply closure corrections to the WIDAR data as well -- the
corrections are distressingly large:  typically 0.2% for subbands 1 and
2, and up to 2% for subbands 3 and 4.  (These latter two sub-bands were
placed outside the old polarizers' range, and four of the antennas in
the WIDAR subarray have old polarizers.  The large corrections needed
for subbands 3 and 4 should not be viewed with especially concern, as
they are likely due to the polarizers.).  The 'final' DR was 40,000:1.
The same weak secondary is easily seen -- reflected about the origin.

    3) Cygnus A:  The VLA image, after standard self-calibration,
provided a nice image with perhaps 1000:1 DR -- about what is expected
for this very powerful and heavily resolved object with the old
correlator.
The WIDAR image provides about the same formal DR, but is notably poorer
in its true fidelity.  I attribute this primarily to the poor (u,v)
coverage -- we have a lack of intermediate spacings which are needed to
better link the long and short spacings.

    I'll now move to the very messy 20cm data.