[evlatests] K-band sensitivity ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 2 18:11:57 EDT 2009

    One thing is not as good as expected -- the sensitivity.

    The data form perfectly gaussian histograms with width 2.97 Jy (1
second averaging, 128 kHz channelwidth).  This is about three times
higher than it should be.  (Rule:  sigma =
5.62*Tsys/epsilon/sqrt(2*dt*dnu)).  I've assume 100% correlator
efficiency.
    I checked this against X and C band data, taken a few days ago, with
the same averaging and channelwdith -- both give widths of 0.65 Jy.

    The map rms is exactly what it should be based on noise statistics:
1sigma = histogramwidth/sqrt(Nsub*Nchan*Nvis).  For my map, Nsub = 4,
Nchan = 951, Nvis = 168300.  The observed sigma is 0.12, which is the
predicted value.