[evlatests] EDFA problems

Jim Jackson jjackson at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 22 10:09:23 EST 2009

Yesterday, we needed to reboot the EDFA's to attempt to fix a
stability problem we were having in the controller of the master
chassis.  Here's what transpired:

- When Rob power cycled this unit as planned, the power supply failed
in the chassis and it would not restart.

- He then attempted to use the spare chassis (new in the box) only to
discover that it was not in complete form.  He combined various
pieces together but could not get this unit to work.

- He then attempted to use the new controller board.  It locks up 3/4
of the way through it's power on self test and is useless

- Mike Revnell took the chassis from the lab which has been sitting
in the rack in the lab untouched for several years to the site.  This
unit also will not function properly but seems closest to
functional.  I'm going to concentrate on this one today

- Rob and Jerry brought all three chassis back to the AOC.  We worked
on them until after 1AM when we decided we had been at work for
almost 18 Hrs and should get our hands off of them and get some sleep.

We are going to tackle them again this morning and also try to get in
touch with tech support at JDS Uniphase.  Until then, most of the
EVLA antennas are down.  We may send some one out to bypass the
fibers around these thing to see if a few more antennas may work -
thought there could be some data errors if we do that.  We'll keep
you informed.

Jim Jackson