[evlatests] "Show stoppers"

Barry Clark bclark at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 27 16:10:53 EDT 2009

After the discussion at Monday's meeting this week, I've spent a little
time thinking about what should be designated "show stoppers" - that is,
things that we do not have today that if they aren't present, I would
oppose turning the VLA back on in March.  My list:

1.  A command with a single parameter (which could be a file name)
     which sends a newly booted correlator (and CBE) into one of the
     OSRO modes.
2.  Fringes on at least one IF pair on all baselines between at least
     20 antennas.
3.  Switched and total powers (on a subband basis) inserted into the
     SDM.
4.  Antenna and subreflector off source flags inserted into the SDM.

Everything else I think we could live with on a temporary basis.  Things
I considered for the above list, and that we absolutely need on a very
short timescale after turnon include
Transmission of the OPT descriptions of correlator modes to the
     correlator
Reference pointing
Parameter maintenance stuff (baselines, pointing, delays)
Inclusion of Tcal values to convert 3. above into Tsys

All of the remainder of the "priority 1" items on Claire's list are
secondary to these, to be worked on if they do not compete for resources
with the items above.