[evlatests] Integrated Feed/Receiver Test - Day 1

Bob Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 11 10:30:04 EDT 2009

Both L-Band receivers (S/N 1 & 2) passed their leak checks and cooled
over the weekend. S/N 2, which has a dead LNA, but was sent to Cryo for
evaluation of the thermal effects of having a second Model 350 fridge on
the same helium line, cooled fine (OMT down to 63K). S/N 1, the receiver
being used for the integrated feed test only got down to 78K, and this
after getting a new fridge (the original had moisture contamination). So
that is disappointing. It got down to about 70 when S/N 2 was turned
off. We may have to live with this receiver running high for the time
being (back in the lab it originally cooled to the low 60's and then
slowly started climbing into the 70's).

Over at the Barn, the gantry crane was brought to the front and the hook
was lower to hoist the L-Band feed. Then it died. Totally. No motion at
all in any direction. The electricians spent  much of the afternoon
investigating the problem. No easy feat since they have to be hoisted by
the cheery picker all the way to the top (105 ft or so). We had hoped to
mount the receiver in the afternoon and do some preliminary tests (RFI,
spot Y-factors, etc.) while the receiver was re-cooling after being
moved over from the Cryo Lab.

So we have a bit of a delay. The receiver is in the Barn now - hopefully
still cold - waiting for the hoist to become operational again. Keep
your fingers crossed...