[evlatests] More on Power (non-)Linearities

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 23 16:02:09 EDT 2009

    I reported this morning on the comparisons between various power
meters for 4744 MHz.  Since then, I've reviewed another frequency, 6744
MHz, where we took the same range of data (cold sky, sky dips, Cygnus A,
and hot loads).  The significant difference is that the absolute powers
at this frequency heading into the meters is 2.2 dB lower -- and this
affects some of the results.

    For both frequencies, excellent linearity is seen over the range of
power spanned between cold sky and Cygnus A ( a factor of about two).
So I calibrated the FFT system and the TPD-B power meter by matching
them to the Milhouse values over this range.  I then solve for offset
and look for non-linearities visible at the hot load level (a factor of
about 12 above the cold sky).

    4744 MHz.

    *  The raw power levels are -30.56,  -24.98 , and -27.20 dBm for the
Milhouse, TPD-B, and TPD-A power meters.  (The FFT method used IF A).
    *  The offsets are -1.0 and -0.5 K for the FFT and TPD-B meters --
in the sense that these meters find Tsys is lower than Milhouse.
    *  With these relations, the non-linearity seen on the hot load is
-26K and +9K for the FFT and TPD-B meters.  (in the sense that the FFT
method shows a deficit (compression), and the TPD-B an excess (expansion).

    6792 MHz

    *  The raw power levels were -32.8,  -27.13, and -29.65 dBm for
Milhouse, TPD-B, and TPD-A.
    * The offsets are now -1.6 and -0.8 K for the FFT and TPD-B meters.
    * The non-linearity on the hot load is now -12K and +8 K for the FFT
and TPD-B meters.

    Hence, reducing the power by 2.3 dB seems to have reduced the FFT
method non-linearity by a factor of about two, but didn't significantly
change the TPD-B results.