[evlatests] X-band WIDAR report

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 28 16:22:47 EDT 2008

    Michael took 30 minutes of data on our perfect point source 0217+738
at Xband.  The results are simply superb:

    After dead-easy calibration (flagging the first 10 or so seconds,
and flicking away two or three bad records), and inserting the usual
large delay via CLCOR, a single bandpass solution was derived.  The data
were then integrated over frequency (channels 50 through 1000), and the
results self-calibrated, with 1-second solutions.  A few minor issues
are reported below.

    I then made an image, using all 6 IFs.  The peak/rms ratio is
38000:1.   In all my years in this business, I've never seen that kind
of dynamic range utilizing only four antennas, and 30 minutes of data.

    The amplitude and phase deviations (on a single 100 MHz-wide
sub-band) from a perfect point are less than 50 milli-degrees, and
0.1%.  (These are, in essence, the 'closure' errors, which I think are
entirely due to noise).

    ISSUES:

    Not all is perfect.  The following were noted:

    1) FRING (used to find the large delay) aborted.  There is no
combination of adverbs which lets it run.  Since the data are organized
'backwards' in frequency, I have to suspect this reversal of the
frequency axis is the problem.  Fortunately, it was clear that the
delays are in the same (to within 1 nsec) of those determined at C-band,
so I used these (but negated, to offset the reversal of the frequency
axis).

    2) Antenna 4 had two small (10 degrees) phase jumps -- at 'scan
boundaries'.

    3) Antennas 3 and 4, in sub-band 6 only, showed a remarkable
degradation in SNR in the last 10 minutes (SNR was cut in half,
roughly).  No idea why.

    4) I attempted to use BLCAL to measure and remove baseline
('closure') errors.  Although it worked, it's clear that it has no idea
about the 6 IFs (sub-bands).  It seems the program is hardwired for two
IFs (i.e., it assumes a VLA-like pair of frequencies).

    On the basis of these observations, my opinion is that the 'closure
test' is satisfactorily completed.