[evlatests] First Ka-Band Receiver on the EVLA

Paul Harden pharden at nrao.edu
Fri May 23 14:13:14 EDT 2008

Robert Hayward wrote:
> As predicted, there was not enough LO Ref power available at the output
> of the UX Converter (we measured about 1 dBm at the receiver input, we
> really need about +6 to +9 dBm to keep the downconverters happy).

The original PDR-era plan and system specs was to have +10 to +13dBm of
LO1/LO2 power arriving at the UX Converter and for the receivers.  After
the first couple of EVLA antennas, it was obvious the loss through the
LO cables and switches from the IF/LO rack to the UX Converter/receivers
was several dB more than anticipated.  The Sythesizers are running at
near full output.  As a result, I had to add additional LO amplification
to the UX Converter to drive the LO Multipliers - which fail to operate
properly with an LO less than about +3dBm (and certainly by 0dBm).

The EVLA system specs were changed June 2005 by the Change Board to:
LO1/LO2 input to UX Converter: +7dBm -3/+4dB (+4 to +11dBm, 12-14GHz)
This was to satisfy the +7dBm nom. LO to the UX Converter and the 0dBm
nom. LO power required by the receivers.

The statement "there was not enough LO Ref power available at the output
of the UX Converter" is misleading in that the LO and UX Converter are
doing their job per EVLA specs.  It is delivering 0dBm nom. to the
receivers.

 From the antennas I have measured, there is typically +5dBm LO arriving
at the UX Converter, meeting LO specs.  Accounting for 1-2dB loss
through the LO1 switch on top of the UX Converter, and 1-2dB cable loss
to the receiver, +1dBm LO at the receiver input is about right, and
fully EVLA spec compliant.

Paul Harden