[evlatests] Results from 23632 MHz in Ka band ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 12 14:38:20 EDT 2008

    Our final Monday tests were intended to be at 26232 MHz.  But, due
to an insertion of the wrong filter, we actually observed at 23632 MHz
-- well outside the advertised (and designed) capability.   This
explains why the power delivered to the total-power meter was about 10
dB too low.    The results were dominated by the noise of the power meter.

    Nevertheless, we got useable data!   For amusement, I quickly
reduced them, giving:

    Tsys = 402K  (a tad high ... :) )
    Tcal ~ 5.5 K (hard to measure in all that noise)
    Tsys (vertical) = 441
    Tatm (vertical) ~ 7K
    Tsp (vertical) ~ 32.

    Needless to say, the ~2K rise in antenna temperature due to 3C273
was indistinguishable from the receiver gain variations, so we don't
have an efficiency measurement.

    Bob and I return to the site tomorrow (weather permitting), to
complete the tests.