[evlatests] 12.5 MHz BW spectral line mode noise

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 3 18:08:40 EDT 2008

    All is *not* well with these modes.  To test if turning off the
self-test has 'fixed' the extra-noise problem, I observed a blank field
in C-band, in continuum mode, and in mode 'PA' with BW = 25, 12.5, and
6.25 MHz.  The data were calibrated using 3C147.   The channelwidths
provided are 3.125, 0.781, and 0.195 MHz.
    Data quality was excellent -- even outstanding -- for all
observations.  The only complaint (other than 5B, which is already
fixed) is with the 'short shallow drop' problem, which affects most EVLA
antennas (but with negligible effect on sensitivity).

    Noise histograms were made of the imaginary part of the Stokes I, Q,
U, and V correlations of the noise field for the EVLA antennas.   In all
cases, the width of I equaled that of V, and Q equaled that in U.  All
four should have equal width, but as the table below shows, they do
not.   The values given are in mJy.

 BW                  I, V                  Q, U
Comment
50 MHz          17.0                     16.8                    Actual
BW ~ 44 MHz
3.125              60.0                     60.0
Exactly as expected
0.781             200.0                   130.0                  Q, U
are correct.  I, V are 50% too high.
0.195             250                      255
Exactly as expected.