[evlatests] Antennas 23 and 25 phase/amplitude jumps

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 23 17:17:06 EST 2008

    My previous report noted the phase of antennas 23 and 25
simultaneously jumping at X-band by 55 and 122 degrees, equally in both
IFs A and C, with the jump occurring prior to the scan, and a return
jump in the middle of the scan.

    I find now that the correlation coefficients for these two antennas
have dropped by 26 and 17 percent, (respectively) at exactly the same
times.  The drop in coherence is not due to Tsys, which was stable
throughout.  The drop must have been caused by some 'chatter' in the
phase -- but if so, the timescale for this very much shorter than the
integration period of 3.3 seconds.

    I had also reported two similar phase jumps at L-band, for antennas
18 and 25.  Curiously, no change in L-band correlation coefficient is
noted for either.