[evlatests] spectral line observers beware

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 9 22:21:59 EST 2008

There is a very misleading statement in the on-line spectral line
observers guide:

http://www.vla.nrao.edu/astro/guides/sline/current/node14.html

"Note that the calibrators must be observed at the same frequency as the
target, although there is a few MHz leeway."

This statement is array configuration and zenith angle dependent in many
cases an error of less than a MHz can be detrimental.  [A array near
horizon can give 1.5 radian errors with a 0.1 MHz frequency difference, if
my numbers are correct] Crystal and her student encountered this problem a
month or so ago and originally thought it was a new EVLA issue.  Even if
we don't make special mention of the calibration requirement that the
expected phase error in radians after calibration is

delta_phi = 1/2pi * (w_cal*nu_cal - w_target*nu_target) / c

in EVLA literature, we should at least fix the web page.

-Walter