[evlatests] Consequence of IAT clock error

Jim Jackson jjackson at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 8 13:26:43 EST 2008

In the current setup, we are essentially relying on two pieces of
hardware (the EVLA L350 and the VLA IAT clock) that 1) must be
manually synchronized with each other and/or the GPS clock and 2)
don't do a good job monitoring that they are actually synchronized.

An updated L350 Central Reference Generator module is being worked on
that will replace the L350 that has been in the EVLA system for at
least three years.  This new module will receive as it's references
5MHz from the MASER, 1PPS from the GPS receiver and Time from the NTP
time server. It will provide the timing for the VLA correlator that
is currently provided by the IAT clock in the MODCOMP rack. The MIB
in the new L350 will also issue an alarm if it senses that the timing
logic in the module has lost sync with the GPS 1PPS.  This should
eliminate the situation that occurred over the weekend. I hope this
will be in place sometime in the next couple of months.

I am also thinking that it may be wise to add a MIB somewhere in the
system, that directly reads time and 1PPS from a separate, stand
alone GPS receiver, compares it to what it believes is time from the
NTP server and 1PPS from the L350, then complains very LOUDLY if
either doesn't agree to within some close tolerance - maybe a couple
of milliseconds. This would be fairly inexpensive and simple to do,
requiring only a MIB and one of the existing stand alone GPS
receivers.  It could potentially save quite a bit of observing time
if something like this goes undetected again.

Jim