[evlatests] Another (different) Condensation Problem

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 10 21:51:18 EST 2008

    Bob and I went to antenna 24 today to do antenna efficiency,
spillover, and system temperature tests at K, Ka, and Q bands.  We began
with Ka band at 33160 MHz, and immediately ran into a curious effect,
not seen before:

    When we placed the cold load (liquid nitrogen in a styrofoam box)
over the feed, the the power steadily declined over the course of about
one minute by about 20K -- a very large amount!  We then removed the
cold load to look at cold sky, and watched the power drop to the
expected level, then rise over the course of about one to two minutes by
about 20K.

    The same effect was seen at Q-band, although the magnitude was
considerably smaller.  It was nearly absent at K-band.

    It was clear from these tests that the problem was associated with
the weather window.  The outside of this membrane (GoreTex, I believe)
was dry, although the feed was initially covered in ice and water, due
mostly to dripping from the subreflector.  We carefully dried off the
upper surface before these tests commenced.
    We then removed the weather window -- and sure enough, the bottom
side was completely saturated with water, mostly likely due to
condensation.  The air in the enclosure between the horn and the RFI
shield which surrounds it (and which includes the weather window) is not
vented in any significant way.  Of course, it doesn't help that the feed
heaters on this antenna are not yet operating correctly.

    We think what was happening is this:  The styrofoam box is a poor
insulator (which we can confirm directly -- it was always icing over,
even in this very dry day).  When it was placed on top of the weather
window, the condensate on the bottom side froze over about a 1 minute
time, greatly reducing its emissivity, and reducing the power.  When the
box was removed, the frozen condensate melted, restoring the original
(bad) state.  I'll show some plots of this at the next test meeting.

    With the weather window removed, we did the basic hot/cold/sky, dip,
and Venus efficiency tests.   The results were spectacular (in most
cases):  Tsys (cold sky) = 41K!  Tr = 15.7.  Tcal = 5.5, which is
exactly what Bob measured in the lab.  The efficiency comes to 38%, a
little lower than we hoped for.  (This leads to Tsys/effic  ~ 110K --
very close to what Emmanuel has measured).

    During these sky tests, we dried out the weather window in the sun,
and reinstalled it.  With a *dry* window in place, there were no further
time-lapse, 20K changes, and all derived parameters were the same as
with no weather window at all.

    So -- we need to think a little about how to keep the air
surrounding the high-frequency feeds dry, and prevent condensation.