[evlatests] planet tracking test last thursday

Bryan Butler bbutler at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 29 20:05:06 EDT 2007

it seems i didn't make a mistake in obs2script - barry do you think the
executor is doing the right thing?

let's take the last venus scan and dissect it.  what i have in the
script (/home/mchost/bbutler/test2007Oct25.evla) is:

ra = [ 2.90559545714279, +0.016478664307678 ]
dec = [ +0.098054871153206, -0.00490018640881 ]
distance = [  0.67013244 ]
pmodel = PolynomialInterferometerModel(54398.73232639, ra, dec, distance)
subarray.setInterferometerModel(pmodel)

first, let's look at timing.  MJD of 54398 is right for last thursday.
and 0.73 into the day is about right too.  the timing line in the
OBSERVE file is:

//* *** Observation day 61,119 at 11 30 00 LST, 2007.10.25 09:25:45 MST.

(add about an hour for the last venus scan).  the line in the ephemeris
file for around 17:30 UT is (ra, dec, distance):

11 05 54.0881 +05 37 08.469 .670108167149845

the positions are in radians, so 2.90559 ra and 0.098 dec is about
right.  the rates are about right, for radians/day, also.

what is in the AIPS header (and presumably in the archive) for the
position for that scan?

ra,dec = 332.9548, 11.23683

(in degrees).

which is way off.

something seems amiss in the way the executor is taking the script
positions and converting them.  do we have the units right?

	-bryan