[evlatests] Thursday afternoon phase status

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 26 11:49:47 EDT 2007

    I ran two test file at the end of software time:

    1) The multi-frequency file used to test polarization.  This one
cycles around P, L, C, X, and K bands, one minute per band, alternating
between 3C286 and 287.  In my previous observations with this system,
the A/C phases changed upon change of band, (upon returning to the same
band) while the B/D did not.  This occurred for all bands.

    2) The standard stress test, which begins with three consecutive
L-band observations.   In previous observations, the A/C phases always
changed between the first and second observations, but not between the
second and third.   Repeated observations at other bands never resulted
in a phase change.

    In yesterday's tests, these behaviors have changed.

    A)  The phase change between the first and second scans in the
stress test has gone away.  Good news.  This (long-standing) problem was
caused by the error noted by Barry, and repaired by Bryan.

    B) The phase change behavior in the multi-band file for polarimetry
studies is completely different -- and defies simple description.  I
shall take some plots to Barry.

    Some other bad things happened, which I shall describe separately.