[evlatests] X-Band Hi dynamic range imaging

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 20 17:56:44 EDT 2007

    As noted this morning, I used 4.5 hours of time last night to do
some deep-ish imaging at X-band.

    Mode used was 2BD, BW = 25 MHz, giving 16 channels in each
polarization.

    We started with 9 EVLA and 18 VLA antennas, but EVLA ant 24 dropped
out early, for no known reason.

    About 3 hours' duration was spent on the point calibrator, 3C286,
and 1.5 hours on a randomly selected blank field, located 3 degrees away.

    Bandpass and gain calibration were done in the usual way.   A very
strange problem with the correlator was found, where by particular pairs
of antennas showed oscillatory bandpasses for some whole scans (an
erroneous lag value, I presume).  The affected antennas were 11 and 22
in LCP for three scans, 28 and 13 in RCP for four scans, and 6 and 17 in
RCP for one scan.
This is clearly not an EVLA issue.

    After essential flagging, the spectral line data were collapsed to a
'pseudo-continuum' file.   A last round of amplitude and phase
calibration was done.  The data were then split into two single-source
files.

    Imaging:

    3C286 was imaged with all antennas, giving a 35,000:1 ratio between
the peak (5.2 Jy) and the nearby rms noise.  The noise structure clearly
indicated 'closure' errors.  BLCAL was run, averaging over all times to
give a single solution for each baselines.  Corrections are small
(typically 1E-4), but certainly help the image.  The DR rose to 63,000
for nearby blank field, and 110,000 for a distant blank field.

    Maps were also made with:

    b) EVLA antennas only.  Effectively, only 8 antennas, and 28
baselines.  The DR = 39 ,000 for distant noise, 31,000 for nearby.
    c) VLA only.  18 antennas, and 153 baselines.  DR = 95,000 for
distant noise, 72,000 for nearby.
    d) X-baselines (VLA x EVLA).  144 baselines.  DR = 55,000 for
distant noise, 31,000 for nearby.

    For all four images, a background source located 10 arcminutes away
(beyond the -6dB point!) was seen, with a flux of 1.4 mJy.

    Imaging was also done of the blank field.  I was betting I'd hit a
random background source -- I was right, sort of.

    a) With all antennas, the rms was .040 mJy, and the background
source was 0.42 mJy.
    b) With EVLA only, the rms was .14 mJy, and the background source
was not clearly obvious in the noise peaks.
    c) With VLA only, the rms was .05 mJy, and the background source was
visible.
    d) With VLA x EVLA baselines, the rms was .057, and the background
source was visible.

    While weak sources do indeed show up as they should with the
EVLA-only, and the EVLA x VLA baselines, the impact of the EVLA is not
as great as it should be.  The reason is likely the extremely poor
sensitivity of two of the EVLA antennas.  Antenna 21, and antenna 14D
have AIPS weights 1/4 the correct value -- their effective system
temperatures are double (or the efficiency half) of what they should be.