[evlatests] X-band tests of two strong sources

Gustaaf van Moorsel gvanmoor at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 14 15:53:50 EDT 2007

After the calibration described earlier I made maps of the source
0303+472, both incuding and excluding the EVLA antennas, and det-
ermined the rms noise in an empty part of the field.  Results:

including all 8 EVLA antennas   0.475 mJy/beam
without all 8 EVLA antennas     0.367 mJy/beam
without EVLA antenna 13         0.467 mJy/beam
without EVLA antenna 14         0.474 mJy/beam
without EVLA antenna 16         0.475 mJy/beam
without EVLA antenna 18         0.478 mJy/beam
without EVLA antenna 24         0.466 mJy/beam
without EVLA antenna 26         0.458 mJy/beam
without EVLA antenna 23         0.462 mJy/beam
without EVLA antenna 17         0.471 mJy/beam

So - including the EVLA antennas appears to increase the noise.
As a sanity check I made an image without 8 randomly chosen VLA
antennas - in that case, the rms noise went up, as expected:

without 8 random VLA antennas   0.747 mJy/beam

Gustaaf