[evlatests] Another gorgeous X-band run, modcomp free

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 29 22:00:05 EDT 2007

    Following the troubles of this afternoon, I ran a short (2 hour)
observation of another well-resolved calibrator.

    This time, I used spectral line mode:  1A, 50 MHz BW, giving 16
channels.  A local (good) calibrator was used to compute the bandpass,
once every 10 minutes.

    All antenna worked, but antenna 16 was intermittently flagged out.
Walter says this is due to subreflector faults.  I loaded the data
without flags, and it definitely shows the flagging is correct.  All
other antennas worked flawlessly.  All flagging was great.

    The target source this time was 0840+132, chosen only because it has
lots of flux (0.8 Jy) and because the manual has it 'X'd' out as a
calibrator.  It turns out to have a strong nucleus, permitting easy
self-cal.

    The multi-channel data were SPLITd down to a single pseudo-continuum
channel, and an image made.

    Simply Lovely!  The rms noise is 39 microJy, the peak 750 milliJy
(probably about right with 90 minutes integration and an effective
bandwidth of about 40 MHz and a single IF).  The image shows a large jet
(max brightness 15 mJy/beam) with low surface brightness lobes (max 2
mJy/beam, typical 0.5 mJy/beam).  This after only a single
self-calibration, and no attempt at fine editing.  And, as this was a
spectral line file, there was no 'closure' correction attempted.

    Things are looking better every day!