[evlatests] Naming of .evla files

Rich Moeser rmoeser at nrao.edu
Sun Jul 1 11:34:03 EDT 2007

>>3. The project code assigned to these scans _could_ differ from other
>>    scans in the project causing problems retrieving the data
>>

>>#3 is the most problematic.  In this case the fast switching scans and
>>tipper scans will be assigned project codes using different algorithms.
>>The former will be based entirely on the filename of the evla script and
>>the later will be based on the observe code the observer gives the file.
>>It seems that the filenames made in the dynamic queue are OK and the two
>>algorithms give the same name.  In the cases where the operator gives a
>>name to the file it is imperitive that entire project code be included in
>>the filename.  In Linux there are not restrictions on the file lengths
>>like there were on the modcomps, so I recommend making filenames that
>>might look like:
>>
>>003ab1248-000.evla		for AB1248
>>998ag627-000.evla		for AG627

I can think of two ways to achieve this without code changes...

1. Renaming the obs file:
If the obs files for AB1248 and AG627 are named 003ab1248.obs and
998ag627.obs, then the resulting auto-generated filenames will be
003ab1248-xxx.evla and 998ag627-000.evla, respectively. This is pretty
much transparent to the operators. They simply select the .obs file
through the screens - as they usually do - and the file is run through
obs2script with the correct output filename and then submitted to the
Executor.

2. Running obs2script manually
The operators could manually run obs2script at the command-line and
specify the desired output filename (ex: obs2script -i
/users/evlaops/fetch/fetched/somefile.obs -o
/home/mchost/evla/scripts/astronomy/2007/07/003ab1248-000.evla). They
would then select the resulting .evla file using their screens to submit
it to the Executor.

--Rich