[evlatests] One mystery resolved ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 5 17:15:39 EST 2007

    The mystery of why data from antennas 6 and 16 gave pointing
solutions, but were absent from the filled data, is now explained.
It's shadowing!  The observations were taken at an elevation of 12
degrees, at an azimuth of 58 degrees.  The entire west arm shadowed
itself.
    Ken explains that the Modcomps, when solving for pointing, don't
care about shadowing.  Antennas 6 and 16 are near the end of the West
arm -- the shadowing was small enough to permit good solutions, but
large enough (more than zero!) to prevent the data being filled.
    Antennas 4, 24, and 8, all of which gave no pointing solutions (or
filled data) are in the inner part of the West arm -- the shadowing was
apparently sufficient to prevent a solution.
    I refilled, with the shadowing restrictions removed, and all
antennas are present .

    It's not obvious to me that the low elevation should cause the low
sensitivity at K and Q bands, however (by the unshadowed antennas).