[evlatests] Ka band

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 10 17:06:14 EST 2007

Weren't the band letter designations designed to confuse the Germans
during WW2?  So we just continue the tradition.

Note that, for the VLBA, we tried hard to not use the letter
designations and call the bands by wavelength designations.  We were
partially, but not completely, successful.  We do use the wavelength
designations on the receivers and in the standard bands that users see.
  But the letters keep creeping into conversation, especially since the
bands are the same as those used on the VLA which uses the letters.

Cheers,

Craig

Charles Kutz wrote:
> Q Band? It was a 70's Disco Band. :-)
>
> It is listed in RF & Microwave Design Essentials by Ph.D. Matthew M.
> Radmanesh page 218 as Q band (mmw) 33-50 GHz.
>
> Take a look at "The Radio Spectrum for Beginners"
> http://www.cromwell-intl.com/radio/rf-spectrum.html
>
> Wikipedia"
> "A" band is the EU, NATO Us ECM Frequency designation for 0 to 0.25 GHz
> frequency range.
>
> Waveguide frequency bands:
> Q-Band 33-50 GHz
> U band 40-60 GHz
>
> IEEE also lists A-band as 0-0.25GHz and as "Old Bands" the Q-band is
> 33-50 GHz, but the new band designation ignores Q, Ka, Ku divisions and
> L-band is 40-60 GHz.
>
> A and U for our purposes may confuse some, but as confused as the rest
> of the world appears to be in this matter, I don't think that we will
> hurt many feelings doing what is effective for us.
>
> Chuck
>
> Bryan Butler wrote:
>> interestingly, though, i also don't see Q-band anywhere.  i always
>> thought it was part of the "standard" nomenclature, but it appears not
>> to be so - should be V-band i guess.  somebody must know how or why
>> Q-band was chosen (just out of curiosity)?
>>
>> 	-bryan
>>

>> Dan Mertely wrote:
>>> I believe it has been called A-band since WW2,
>>> or the early 1950's at the latest. sf:
>>> http://www.radioing.com/eengineer/bands.html
>>>
>>>  -Mert

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  505 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    505 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA