[evlatests] VLBI at the VLA test preliminary report

Amy Mioduszewski amiodusz at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 15 13:23:39 EDT 2007

This report is preliminary because the experiment has not been correlated yet.
But I have no reason to believe that looking at the correlated data will change
the conclusions.

On Monday (August 13, 2007 at 6LST) I did an test of the VLBI capabilities of
the Modcomp free VLA.  The test was almost identical to the one that Greg did in
June.  The tests were named TY004A&B and the schedules observed at C band and
switched between 3C84 and J0310+3814 every 2 minutes.  TY004A (6-6:30LST) was a
phased VLA test where the 3C84 scans were VA mode (phasing up) and the
J0310+3814 were in VX mode.  TY004B was single dish.  Mark Claussen and I went
out the the VLA that morning so that we could cable up an EVLA antenna to use
for the single dish test.

Results of the phased array test (TY004A):
The phased array seemed to work.  The array phased up during the 3C84 scans in
two or three integration times and held the phase pretty well during the
J0310+3814 scans.  There was some trouble with antenna 28 but the operator
recognized the problem (28 had been reported to be finicky) was able to
reinitialize it and that seemed to fix it.  Also, from what we could tell the
data was written to disk.  Once the data are correlated I should be more
definitive about this.

There are two issues that came up:
1) There is no way to set the reference antenna, and it is set to DCS#1 which is
antenna 24.  Since this antenna is near the end of an arm it is not an ideal
reference antenna.
        -- Barry said this was a known feature.
2) At the start of the VA scans the phases seemed to be reset to random phases,
so the phasing up had to start from scratch.

Results of the single dish test (TY004B):
The schedule aborted in the python script.  Since this happened we were not able
to test if the T8 switch was controlled by the schedule since the default seemed
to be phased array and we never got far enough into the single dish schedule for
it to change.
        -- I have reported this to Barry

I will send a second report once I get the correlated data.