[evlatests] EVLA -- or VLA -- phase jumps with no change in Flukes, on IFs A and C.

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 1 19:37:24 EDT 2007

    I've run a few of my stress tests in the past 3 days, looking for
new problems.  (These are getting harder to find!)

    However, one new effect occurs consistently, and is perhaps new.
In the past, my 'stress test' ran through each band in sequence, with no
repetitions.  But because there have been problems with the first scan,
wherein the VLA antennas don't fringe, I've modified the test to repeat
the first scan in the file, before moving ahead through the sequence.

    In each of the 3 or so tests I've tried this, I have noted that the
phase of the EVLA antennas -- *** in IFs A and C only*  changes between
the scans, by about 30 degrees.  The change is the same on all antennas,
and also on both IFs (hence, both polarizations).  There is no change in
Flukes, or frequency, between these scans.

    Of course (and as always), I cannot tell if it's the EVLA which
changed, or the VLA.  In the analysis, I used a VLA antenna as reference.