[evlatests] 24apr07 X band: fringes come and go???

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 24 21:29:39 EDT 2007

Hello all,

   I just reduced an X-band continuum data set from this morning, just
after Rick's run.

* Rick found lovely EVLA fringes at X-band, until the last 20seconds or so
   of his run, when the fringes vanished for all the EVLA antennas.

* My run immediately followed his, and ran for an hour (in one long fast-
   switching scan).  There were no fringes for any EVLA antenna.

* Rick had another run around noon -- at that point the X-band continuum
   fringes were back again!

I'm not sure what's going on here, but it ain't good...

Another couple of minor points:
* Antenna 22, IF 1R (= IF A) produces lots of stripes in the image plane,
   presumably corresponding to some bad data, though those are not obvious
   in UVPLT/TVFLG.

* The VLA-only image (minus 22-1R) looks fine, giving an rms of about
   48 microJy/beam for 30mins on-source.  No sign of the weird sources
   Vivek and Gustaaf have been tracking.

Cheers,

                  Michael