[evlatests] ea21 at P-band

Paul Harden pharden at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 10 14:48:30 EDT 2007

Walter Brisken wrote:
> I've reset the attenuators on ant 21, IFs B & D .  Both IFs wanted 12 dB
> more attenuation.

There has always been a level of uncertainty as just how to deal with
the power levels of the narrow-band 74MHz and P-band signals within the
otherwise wide EVLA IF.

I based the design on providing the T302 LSC Converter with about -30dBm
power from the 4/P Converter, or, a litle higher than the input power
from the L, S and C band receivers.  Granted, these total power levels
are based on two greatly different bandwidths.

There is some latitude in the 4/P Converter in the output IF level.  I
would appreciate hearing from anyone involved in P-band testing and
observing if they feel the output power from the 4/P Converters needs to
be increased or decreased to get some empirical value we can use as a
standard.

For comparison, the output IF power from the 4/P Converters are as follows:

-34dBm  Ant. 21 (with the increased gain headroom)
-28dBm  Ant. 17 and 23
-24dBm  Ant. 14 (old design with the LO leakage problem)

The Ant. 14 unit power is quite high, in an attempt at the time to get
better signal to noise with the LO leakage power.  The new converters
have virtually no LO leakage in the IF.

We are about to begin construction of the 4/P Converters to get caught
up and have a converter for all past and present EVLA antennas in the
next month or so.  These will be based on -34dBm output power.  Again,
if anyone feels this IF power needs to be adjusted, please let me know.

Paul Harden