[evlatests] L-Band Deep Imaging

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 4 18:38:23 EDT 2007

    A previous report of a deep field image at X-band provided good
evidence that the EVLA sees -- and shows! -- the same weak sources that
the VLA sees.  However, doing this at X-band was not a good choice, for
although there is a maximum in working EVLA antennas at this band, as
there are very few background sources to be seen in a modest integration.

    Having a spare 2 hours to kill this afternoon, I repeated the
experiment at L-band, where there is certainly no shortage of background
sources!

    I used 110 minutes on this endeavor, 10 of these on 3C48, once 10
minutes, to establish amplitude and phase calibration.  The rest were on
a randomly chosen field, at 0100+250.    I used spectral line mode, 2AC.
    Antenna 14C was doing its 150-degree thing, so it was removed.  The
usual amplitude drops abounded -- they were eliminated (on the
calibrator) via EDITA (a marvellous AIPS task).  Antenna 21 was still
AWOL.  Antenna 16 is being rewired.  The other 7 antennas worked well.
On the VLA side, we  had 18 antennas working.

    Images were made of the blank field, using (i) all data, (ii) EVLA
only data, and (iii) VLA only data.

Mode         Peak Flux            Total Cleaned Flux         rms
All                 56.5 mJy                    200 mJy
0.25 mJy
EVLA           58.0                           117                       0.53
VLA             55.3                            184
0.36

    The results are just as expected.  The field is far from blank!
There are dozens of background sources.  The brightest source (far from
the center) is the same in all images.  The rms varies as expected.  The
total cleaned flux is less in the EVLA image because the noise is more
than twice as high -- and the sparse UV coverage makes source
identification difficult for the deconvolution algorithm.  (Most of the
sources have flux densities of a few mJy, so are hard to see in the EVLA
only image).
    There is no doubt, when viewing the three maps, that we are seeing
the same field, in the same way, with the same flux density distribution.