[evlatests] New T-Data Procedure for EVLA Antennas

Robert Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 9 12:45:23 EDT 2006

Craig,

The engineering groups do prefer to work with Excel spreadsheets since
we want to plot this stuff up easily (very few engineers in the basement
use Unix). However, I believe Excel can generate data files in various
types of formats (i.e., comma delimited, etc.) so it shouldn't be much
of a problem to export a table's worth of Tcals once the format and
content have been defined. If not, we can run some custom code that will
parse it any which way we want.

I haven't read VLBA Memo 51 yet but I'll look it up. As to on-antenna
derivation of the Tcals, that would be nice. I've heard Ken talk about
doing this before, but it was way down on his list of things to ponder.
Obviously with the WIDAR correlator, we could do even the widest band
receivers (i.e., Ka-Band) in about 7 slices of 2 GHz bandwidth chunks
and have a Tcal calculated every 1 MHz or so across the band. That's
something we can't do in the lab with our SOIDA measurement system which
has a detector bandwidth of about 40 MHz.

One thing that we would want to incorporate in our EVLA Tcal files -
which I believe you do well in the VLBA - is archiving the old values
for posterity.

-Bob