[evlatests] Phased VLA, Nov 28.

Vivek Dhawan vdhawan at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 30 16:41:04 EST 2006

GC28 observed on Nov 28, UT 11:40-24:20, X-band.

There were phase jumps on both EVLA and VLA antennas. They may or
not relate to the phasing algorithm, I'll set them aside for now.

Phases on the VA calibrator scans take ~30sec to settle. Barry says
the current algorithm has no memory of the previous solution; which
he intends to fix.

After the EVLA antennas are phased up, they still (sometimes) have
more phase scatter than VLA antennas. I cannot investigate this more
with the present data. I will take some data with longish VA scans,
cycling over a few strong sources. Anything else I should look for?
e.g. phase up just the EVLA antennas and record some data to look
for LO wobbles that are common-mode on the EVLA but would show up
to the VLBA?

Other than the above, the EVLA phased as well as the VLA for ten
hours, ignoring the 6 occasions when it jumped off and back again.
For the last 2 hours, the phases wander by upto 100 degrees on EA13,
18 and 24. But many outer VLA antennas do the same, so that must be
weather going bad. Just prior to that, the whole array was stowed for
winds over 55mph.

Vivek.