[evlatests] Global Phase Jump

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 20 19:11:05 EST 2006

The subject was in the singular, for a reason ...

I ran my favorite phase-jump-inducing file today, a main-beam holography
file, which makes the antennas change position every ten seconds, for a
little over one hours -- about 360 source changes.

The file used five different bandwidths, and five different Fluke
settings, arranged to the center frequency was always the same.  X-band
default frequencies were used.

All 6 EVLA antennas performed magnificently.

Result:

No phase jumps of any kind within any scan were found!

A ~100 degree change in phase, for all EVLA antennas w.r.t a VLA
reference antenna, was found at the 50 MHz BW setting, between two
calibrators observed nearly an  hour apart.  Between these two
observations were the 25, 12.5, 6.25 and 3.125 MHz BW observations --
and there were no phase jumps seen in any of these.

Things get better and better -- but why???