[evlatests] 'Global' Phase Jumps, continued ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 1 15:57:14 EST 2006

    The presence of both Barry and Ken at the WIDAR correlator meeting
meant there was a long period of Software time available during the
afternoon yesterday for stability tests.    I used 4.3 hours of this
time to watch a single source, at X-band.
    The primary purpose for this experiment was to measure the bandpass
phase and amplitude stability.   Data were taken in a single IF ('A'),
with 25 MHz BW, with 32 channels.  All EVLA antennas were included,
although 24 was available for only 30 minutes at the end, and 26 was out
of the array for slightly more than an hour at the beginning.   I
utilized 3C345, a 7 Jy nearly point source calibrator.  To remove
residual effects due to  its structure, an accurate map of the source
was utilized in the calibration procedure.

    This report focuses on the antenna phase stability.  The bandpass
characteristics will be reported upon later.

    Overall phase stability for both VLA and EVLA antennas was
remarkably poor, with minute-to-minute changes of up to 60 degrees
visible throughout.  Despite the magnitude (and the apparently stable
and dry weather), these are very likely due to tropospheric
fluctuations, as the magnitude grows with baseline length, and the
variations are smooth on the sampling timescale of 3.3 seconds.

    A number of VLA antennas have large phase slopes (over 100 degrees
over 4 hours):  2, 7, 20, 21, and 27.  All of these are I believe
recently moved -- it would seem that a baseline run is needed.

    Six 'global' phase jumps were observed --- where 'global' means that
the jumps can only be seen on VLA to EVLA baselines.  All six jumps
occured *in the middle of scans* -- none were in any way identifiable
with scan boundaries.
    The six jumps come as three matched pairs -- the phase
discontinuously (within 3.3 seconds) changes by a large value (the same
for all EVLA antennas w.r.t. the VLA, or vice versa), then returns to
the original phase some fairly short time later.   The durations of
these jumps were ~ 24, 14,  and 14 minutes each.
    Most curiously, the 'return jump' was of a smaller magnitude than
the original -- yet the phases returned to the original level!  This
apparently contradictory statement is true because the phase between the
VLA and EVLA drifts during the 'jump' period!!!
(If this isn't clear, come see the plots I have).